Thursday, January 3, 2008

I AM A RUNNER

Wellllllllllll, I got back a few days ago after spending Christmas with the fam. I ran once over the holiday and it was sad. Since I've been back, I've been sick and it's gross.

I really need to start running regularly if I'm going to be ready for the half marathon, even the 10K I'm planning to run.

For Christmas I got a ton of running stuff: two pairs of pants for running in the cold, new shirts and tops, socks, shorts, a watch, an ipod, some headbands... I mean I am set.

I bought the latest issue of Runner's World and two books about running. One I had checked out from the library and decided to buy (The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik). I like the information. It's well written and concise.

Another book I bought and have just started reading: The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais. This book is so perfect for me. The author is extremely sarcastic and funny. I mean, I just love her style:

"The rest of the book offers advice on how to avoid death while training for a marathon. Keep in mind that my only real qualification for giving this advice is the fact that I managed to avoid death while training for a marathon. Which makes my training a smashing success. However, I issue this warning in case, for some odd reason, you actually follow my advice and something horrendous happens (like you end up actually enjoying running marathons): I hereby absolve myself from any liability."


Love this book so far.

Okay so all this reading I have been doing has really motivated me and bolstered my confidence. One thing I read says to tell yourself you are a runner. And I have been saying that in my head. "I am a runner." I'm going to print some motivational things out and tape them around the apt. I need some serious reminders that I've got to get off my butt and run.

As soon as I don't feel like crap, I'm getting back out there.

2 comments:

grace said...

best quote ever:
"The rest of the book offers advice on how to avoid death while training for a marathon"

dawn said...

My agent told me to Google myself because people were writing wonderful things about my book in their blogs. So I did. Because apparently I am that self-centered. Who knew.

Thanks for loving my book.

It told me it has feelings for you as well. I'm thinking by page 115 or so it might be ready to use the "l" word.

Good luck with your training...