Thursday, November 1, 2007

Training Day 1 ... sort of

10/31/07

Happy Halloween.

Online at work, checking my friend's AIM away messages and J mentions she is going for a run later in the day.

"Run by yourself?" I text her.
"You can come" she replies.

We plan for 5:30 as soon as I get home from work. We're going to run behind the vet school which I am pretty sure is where the cross country course is, but am not certain.

I get home at 5:30 (tons of traffic on PF) and M is there, unexpectedly. I'm thrilled to see him, but know I have to resist spending time with him in order to run with J. See, if I had just planned to run alone, I would have never made it on the pavement with M at home. I might have gone out at 6 when he had rehearsal, but it's not likely. Once I get cozy on the couch, there's not much that can move me.

I tell M I'm supposed to run with J and he tells me to hurry up and get dressed. That simple encouragement is totally necessary.

I'm dressed and in the car with J and her dog, D, around 5:45. We drive to the vet school and walk with D on a leash for a bit, back towards a trail which must be part of the course. I need to ask M about it because the Crew team just had a 5K on the course and he was in charge. I'm sure he'll know the exact route.

We run a couple laps on the trail with D off her leash. D is obnoxious, real sweet and fun, but obnoxious. She's pretty good and staying with us, but likes to run under our feet sometimes. J mentions she won't bring D every time.

After running for about 25 minutes we head back to the car since J has a meeting at 7. I feel good after running, considering it's been over a month since I last went out. It's a little chilly, but in a good way. J and I discuss plans for our next run. She's found a marathon training guide. I guess she was serious about the marathon. It motivates me to start training again. We decide on Friday after work, but I later remember I promised my friend E I'd come to her boyfriend, A's, birthday dinner at 6. Timing is off for J and me. We agree to figure something out.

At home again, I'm feeling pumped up about running, like I did this summer. I make a mental note to check out marathon training websites at work tomorrow. Definitely planning to get into this. For real.

No comments: